Monday, March 17
They'll Write Books About This One
The basketball tournament that combined sports and a disaster flick.
• Was listening to the game on XM when the tornado hit and the announcers sounded calm, yet scared.
• Did overtime save the lives of dozens possibly hundreds? Its possible. Had the Mississippi State/Alabama game ended on time there would have hundreds (thousands) of people in the street leaving the Dome when the tornado hit. With overtime everyone stayed inside.
• Can't imagine the work and manpower that went into rescheduling the tournament – getting a new venue ready, moving TV and radio equiptment, Devising the plan, all, literally, in the middle of the night. There needs to be a long article/book about everything that happened.
• I'm so jealous of the Georgia Bulldogs. I really wanted Kentucky to get the opportunity to win two games in a day and go on to the title game. Alas, a kid from Dunwoody took care of that.
• I was rooting for Georgia to win the title even though I thought Georgia taking another NCAA spot would be the end of Kentucky's Tournament hopes (It wasn't). The Georgia win was one of the greatest feats by a team i've seen. Magical run. Storybook stuff.
• Seeing Arkansas coach John Pelphry (former Wildcat) yell "Shut The Fuck Up" to a Tennessee player who was talking shit made my day. Arkansas won 92-91. Nice.
• I understand 70-80% of what Bill Rafterey says...its usually the final two words I have trouble with. He's insane. He's like a lab experiment of what happens to someone completely overtaken by his catchphrase schtick. Its sad.
• Billie Gillispie may want to read his rule book a little closer.